2017 JpGU Fellow
for outstanding contributions to the theory and numerical analysis of the interaction of plasma waves with relativistic particles in space plasmas, and thereby to our advanced understanding of the Earth’s radiation belts.
A list of five major papers
1. The modified plasma dispersion function (D. Summers and R. M. Thorne) Physics of Fluids, B, 1991, 3, 1835-1847, doi:10.1063/1.859653. (Web of Science: 411 citations)
2. Relativistic theory of wave-particle resonant diffusion with application to electron acceleration in the magnetosphere (D. Summers, R. M. Thorne, and F. Xiao) Journal of Geophysical Research, 1998, 103, 20487-20500, doi: 10.1029/98JA01740. (Web of Science: 483 citations)
3. A model for generating relativistic electrons in the Earth’s inner magnetosphere based on gryoresonant wave-particle interactions (D. Summers and C.-Y. Ma) Journal of Geophysical Research, 2000, 105, 2625-2639. (Web of Science: 161 citations)
4. Relativistic electron pitch-angle scattering by electromagnetic ion cyclotron waves during geomagnetic storms (D. Summers and R. M. Thorne) Journal of Geophysical Research, 2003, 108, A4, 1143, doi:10.1029/2002JA009489. (Web of Science: 346 citations)
5. Timescales for radiation belt electron acceleration and loss due to resonant wave-particle interactions: 2. Evaluation for VLF chorus, ELF hiss, and electromagnetic ion cyclotron waves (D. Summers, B. Ni, and N.P. Meredith) Journal of Geophysical Research, 2007, 112, A04207, doi: 10.1029/2006JA011993. (Web of Science: 277 citations)