For outstanding contributions to magnetospheric dynamics, in particular to excellent various works in magnetometer development onboard spacecraft, Antarctic observations, and data analysis of geomagnetic observations
A list of five major papers
- Nagata, T. and S. Kokubun, An additional geomagnetic daily variation field (Sqp-field) in the polar region on geomagnetically quiet days, Rep. Ionos. Space Res. Japan, 16, 256-274, 1962.
- Kokubun, S., and T. Nagata, Geomagnetic pulsation pc-5 in and near the auroral zones, Rep. Ionos. Space Res. Japan, 19, 158-175, 1965.
- Kokubun, S., Relationship of interplanetary magnetic field structure with development of substorm and storm main phase, Planet. Space Sci., 20, 1033-1049, 1972.
- Kokubun, S., R. L. McPherron and C.T. Russell, Triggering of substorms by solar wind discontinuities, J. Geophys. Res., 82, 74-86, 1977.
- Kokubun, S. and R. L. McPherron, Substorm signatures at synchronous altitude, J. Geophys. Res., 86, 11,265-11,277, 1981.