for outstanding contributions to solid geophysics, in particular to the understanding of mineral physics and the dynamics of the Earth’s interior.
A list of five major papers
- Shun-ichiro Karato, On the origin of the asthenosphere. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 321-322 (2012) 95–103.
- Shun-ichiro Karato, Water distribution across the mantle transition zone and its implications for global material circulation. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 301 (2011) 413–423.
- Shun-ichiro Karato, Haemyeong Jung, Ikuo Katayama, and Philip Skemer, Geodynamic Significance of Seismic Anisotropy of the Upper Mantle: New Insights from Laboratory Studies. Annu. Rev. Earth Planet. Sci., (2008) 36:59–95.
- Shun-ichiro Karato , Haemyeong Jung, Water, partial melting and the origin of the seismic low velocity and high attenuation zone in the upper mantle. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 157 (1998) 193–207.
- Shun-ichiro Karato and Patrick Wu, Rheology of the Upper Mantle: A Synthesis. Science, 260, (1993) 771-778.