for outstanding contributions to oceanography, in particular to the understanding of medium scale ocean dynamics, the assimilation of ocean data, and sea ice modeling.
A list of five major papers
- Ikeda, M., Meanders and detached eddies of a strong eastward-flowing jet using a two-layer quasi-geostrophic model. J. Phys. Oceanogr., 11, 526–540, 1981.
- Ikeda, M., L. A. Mysak and W. J. Emery, Observations and modelling of satellite sensed meanders and eddies off Vancouver Island. J. Phys. Oceanogr., 14, 3–21, 1984.
- Ikeda, M., A coupled ice ocean model of wind driven coastal flows. J. Geophys. Res., 90, 9119–9128, 1985.
- Ikeda, M., Decadal oscillations of the air-ice-ocean system in the northern hemisphere. Atmosphere-Ocean, 28, 106–139, 1990.
- Zhang, X., J. E. Walsh, J. Zhang, U. S. Bhatt, and M. Ikeda, Climatology and interannual variability of Arctic cyclone activity, 1948–2002. J. Climate, 17, 2300–2317, 2004.