for outstanding contributions to geoelectromagnetism, in particular to the simulation of the geomagnetic field and to the understanding of paleomagnetic intensity.
A list of five major papers
- Kono, M. and Nagata, T. (1967) Intensity of the geomagnetic field during a reversed polarity, Nature, 212, 274–275.
- Kono, M. (1971) Intensity of the earth’s magnetic field in Pliocene and Pleistocene in relation to the amplitude of mid-ocean ridge magnetic anomalies, Earth Planet. Sci. Lett., 11, 10–17.
- Heki, K., Hamano, Y. and Kono, M. (1983) Rotation of Peruvian Block from palaeomagnetic studies of the Central Andes, Nature, 305, 514–516.
- Tanaka, H., Kono, M. and Uchimura, H. (1995) Some global features of paleointensity in geological time scale, Geophys. J. Int., 120, 97–102.
- Kono, M. and Roberts, P.H. (2002) Recent geodynamo simulations and observations of the geomagnetic field, Rev. Geophys., 40, doi: 10.1029/2000RG000102.