for outstanding contributions to oceanography, in particular to the understanding of the mutual interaction of the atmosphere and oceans; and numerous contributions to the development of the Japan Geoscience Union.
A list of five major papers
- Hanawa, K., and H. Mitsudera, 1987: Variations of water system distribution in the Sanriku Coastal Area. Journal of the Oceanographical Society of Japan, 42, 435–446.
- Hanawa, K., 1987: Interannual variations in the wintertime outcrop area of Subtropical Mode Water in the North Pacific. ATMOSPHERE-OCEAN, 25, 358–374.
- Hanawa, K., T. Watanabe, N. Iwasaka, T. Suga, and Y. Toba, 1988: Surface thermal conditions in the western North Pacific during the ENSO events. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan, 66, 445–456.
- Hanawa, K., P. Rual, R. Bailey, A. Sy, and M. Szabados, 1995: A new depth-time equation for Sippican or TSK T-7, T-6 and T-4 expendable bathythermographs (XBT). Deep-Sea Research, 42, 1423–1451.
- Hanawa, K., and J. Kamada, 2001: Variability of core layer temperature (CLT) of North Pacific subtropical mode water. Geophysical Research Letters, 28, 2229–2232.