For outstanding contributions to high-pressure materials science of clathrates and other materials, and their applications to Earth and Planetary Interiors
A list of five major papers
- 1. Arai, S. and Hirai, H. (1985) Relics of H2O fluid inclusions in mantle-derived olivine. Nature, 318, 276-277.
- 2. Hirai, H. and Kondo, K. (1991) Modified phases of diamond formed under shock compression and rapid quenching. Science, 253, 772-774.
- 3. Hirai, H., Terauchi, M. Tanaka, M. and Kondo, K. (1999) Band gap of essentially fourfold-coordinated amorphous diamond synthesized from C60 fullerene, Phys. Rev. B, 60, 6357-6361.
- 4. Hirai, H., Tanaka, T., Kawamura, T., Yamamoto, Y. and Yagi, T. (2004) Structural changes of gas hydrates and stability of a filled ice structure of methane hydrate above 42 GPa, J. Phys. Chem. Solid, 65, 1555-1559.
- 5. Hirai, H., Kadobayashi, H., Hirao, N., Ohishi, Y., Ohtake, M., Yamamoto, Y. and Nakano, S. (2015) Time-resolved x-ray diffraction and Raman studies of the phase transition mechanisms of methane hydrate. J. Chem. Phys. 142, 024707.