for outstanding contributions to geomagnetism, in particular to the investigation of electromagnetic phenomena within the Earth and their relationship with earthquakes; and numerous contributions to the Japan Geoscience Union during its early stages.
A list of five major papers
- Takahashi, F., M. Matsushima and Y. Honkura, Simulations of quasi-Taylor state geomagnetic field including polarity reversals on the Earth Simulator, Science, 309, 459-461, 2005.
- Takahashi, F., H. Tsunakawa, M. Matsushima, N. Mochizuki, and Y. Honkura, Effects of thermally heterogeneous structure in the lowermost mantle on the geomagnetic field strength, Earth Planet. Sci. Lett. , 272, 738-746, 2008.
- Honkura, Y., Y. Ogawa, M. Matsushima, S. Nagaoka, N. Ujihara, and T. Yamawaki, A model for observed circular polarized electric fields coincident with the passage of large seismic waves, J. Geophys. Res. , 114, B10103, doi:10.1029/2008JB006117, 2009.
- Honkura, Y., A. M. Isikara, N. Oshiman, A. Ito, B. Ucer, S. Baris, M. Tuncer, M. Matsushima, R. Pektas, C. Celik, B. Tank, F. Takahashi, M. Nakanishi, R. Yoshimura, Y. Ikeda, and T. Komut: Preliminary results of multidisciplinary observations before, during and after the Kocaeli (Izmit) earthquake in the western part of the North Anatolian Fault Zone, Earth Planets Space , 52, 293-298, 2000.
- Honkura, Y., N. Oshiman, M. Matsushima, S. Baris, M. Kemal Tunçer, S. Bülent Tank, C. Çelik, and E. T. Çiftçi, Rapid changes in the electrical state of the 1999 Izmit earthquake rupture zone, Nature Communications , 4, doi:10.1038/ncomms3116, 2013.