for outstanding contributions to planetary science, in particular to the understanding of the formation and evolution of the atmosphere and oceans; and numerous contributions to popularization of geoscience.
A list of five major papers
- Matsui, T. and Abe, Y. (1986) Evolution of an impact-induced atmosphere and magma ocean on the accreting Earth. Nature 319, 303-305.
- Matsui, T. and Abe, Y. (1986) Impcat-induced atmospheres and oceans on Earth and Venus. Nature 322, 526-528.
- Matsui, T. and Abe, Y. (1986) Formation of a “magma ocean” on the terrestrial planets due to the blanketing effect of an impact-induced atmosphere. Earth, Moon, and Planetes 34 223-230.
- Yomogida, K. and Matsui, T. (1983) Physical properties of ordinary chondrites. J. Geophys. Res. 88, 9513-9533.
- Abe, Y. and Matsui, T. (1985) The formation of an impact-generated H2O atmosphere and its implications for the early thermal history of the Earth. J. Geophys. Res. 90. Spl. C545-C559.