for outstanding contributions to geothermics, plate tectonics, and the paleomagnetism; and to spreading the New View of the Earth internationally.
A list of five major papers
- Uyeda, S., and K. Horai, Terrestrial heat flow in Japan, J. Geophys. Res., 69, 2121-2141, 1964.
- Uyeda, S., and A. Miyashiro, Plate tectonics and the Japanese Islands: A synthesis, Geol. Soc. Amer. Bull., 85, 1159-1170, 1974.
- Forsyth, D., and S. Uyeda, On the relative importance of driving forces of plate motion, Geophys. J. Roy. Astr. Soc., 43, 163-200, 1975.
- Uyeda, S., and H. Kanamori, Back-arc opening and the mode of subduction, J. Geophys. Res., 84, 1049-1061, 1979.
- Uyeda, S., M. Kamogawa, and H. Tanaka, Analysis of electrical activity and seismicity in the natural time domain for the volcanic-seismic swarm activity in 2000 in the Izu Island region, Japan, J. Geophys. Res., 114, B02310, doi:10.1029/2007JB005332, 2009.