for outstanding contributions to atmospheric dynamics, in particular to the understanding of the dynamics of the middle atmosphere; and numerous contributions to the Japan Geoscience Union during the period of its establishement.
A list of five major papers
- Hirota, I.,1968: On the dynamics of long and ultra-long waves in a baroclinic zonal current, J. Met. Soc. Japan, 46, 234-249.
- Hirota, I., 1976: Seasonal variation of planetary waves in the stratosphere observed by the Nimbus 5 SCR, Q. J. Roy. Met. Soc., 102, 757-770.
- Hirota, I., 1978: Equatorial waves in the upper stratosphere and mesosphere in relation to the semiannual oscillation of the zonal wind, J. Atmos. Sci., 35, 714-722.
- Hirota, I., 1984: Climatology of gravity waves in the middle atmosphere, J. Atmos. Terr. Phys., 46,767-773.
- Hirota,I. ,and T.Hirooka, 1984: Normal mode Rossby waves observed in the upper stratosphere. Part I: First symmetric modes of zonal wavenumbers 1 and 2, J. Atmos. Sci., 41,1253-1267.