for outstanding contributions to petrology, in particular to experimental petrology and the understanding of the origin of magma.
A list of five major papers
- The system forsterite-diopside-silica with and without water at high-pressures. I.Kushiro (1969) American J. Science, 267A, 269-294.
- Effect of water on the composition of magmas formed at high pressures, I.Kushiro (1971) J.Petrology, 13, 311-334.
- Melting of hydrous upper mantle and possible generation of andesitic magma: an approach from synthetic system, I.Kushiro (1974) Earth Planet. Sci. Lett. 22, 294-299.
- Viscosity and structural changes of albite melt at high pressures, I.Kushiro (1978) Earth Planet. Sci. Lett., 41, 87-90.
- Partial melting experiments on peridotite and origin of mid-ocean ridge basalt, I.Kushiro (2001) Annual Review Earth planet. Sci., 29, 71-107.