for outstanding contributions to space plasma physics, in particular to the understanding of non-linear phenomena.
A list of five major papers
- Matsumoto, H., H. Kojima, T. Miyatake, Y. Omura, M. Okada, I. Nagano, and M. Tsutsui, Electrostatic Solitary Waves (ESW) in the Magnetotail : BEN Wave forms observed by GEOTAIL, Geophys. Res. Lett., 21, 2915-2918, 1994.
- Matsumoto, H., H. Kojima, Y. Omura, and I. Nagano, Plasma waves in Geospace: GEOTAIL Observation, “New Perspectives on the Earth’s Magnetotail” ed. By N. Nishida, D. N. Baker, and W. H. Cowley, Geophysical Monograph by the American Geophysical Union, 105, 259-319, 1998.
- Matsumoto, H., L. A. Frank, Y. Omura, H. Kojima, W. R. Paterson, M. Tsutsui, R. R. Anderson, S. Horiyama, S. Kokubun, and T. Yamamoto, Generation Mechanism of ESW based on GEOTAIL Plasma Wave Observation, Plasma Observation and Particle Simulation, Geophys. Res. Lett., 26, 421-424, 1999.
- Matsumoto, H., Research on solar power satellites and microwave power transmission in Japan, IEEE Microwave magazine, 3, 36-45, 2002.
- Shklyar, D., and H. Matsumoto, Oblique Whistler-Mode Waves in the Inhomogeneous Magnetospheric Plasma: Resonant Interactions with Energetic Charged Particles, Surv Geophys,30: 55-104, doi 10.1007/s10712-009-9061-7, 2009.