For outstanding contribution to the solar-terrestrial physics through elucidation of the physical processes of the substorm and other dynamical phenomena by using the advanced magnetosphere-ionosphere simulation
A list of five major papers
- Tanaka, T., ISIS 2 observations of the irregularity distribution during the low- latitude ionospheric disturbance event caused by the magnetospheric electric field, Annales Geophys., 5A, 421, 1987.
- Tanaka, T., Finite volume TVD scheme on an unstructured grid system for three- dimensional MHD simulation of inhomogeneous systems including strong background potential fields, J. Comput. Phys., 111, 381, 1994.
- Tanaka, T., Generation mechanisms for magnetosphere-ionosphere current systems deduced from a 3-D MHD simulation of the solar wind-magnetosphere- ionosphere coupling processes, J. Geophys. Res., 100, 12057, 1995.
- Tanaka, T., Magnetosphere-ionosphere convection as a compound system, Space Sci. Rev., 133, Doi 10.1007/s11214-007-9168-4, 2007.
- Tanaka. T., Y. Ebihara, M. Watanabe, M. Den, S. Fujita, T. Kikuchi, K. K. Hashimoto, and R. Kataoka (2017), Global simulation study for the time sequence of events leading to the substorm onset, J. Geophys. Res., 122, doi:10.1002/2017JA024102.