2nd Nishida Prize for Promotion of Geoscience
Japan Geoscience Union (JpGU) is now accepting recommendations for candidates for the 2nd Nishida Prize for Promotion of Geoscience .
JpGU has created the "Nishida Prize for Promotion of Geoscience" to honor internationally recognized mid-level researchers under the age of 45 in 2014.
The prize is named for member Prof. Atsuhiro Nishida (JpGU fellow), who provided a proposal and a donation in support.
1. Recipient Qualifications
This prize is conferred upon researchers under the age of 45 as of the beginning of the judging period (April 1, 2016) who have provided an exceptional level of research in the field of Geoscience using a new approach, attaining international recognition. As a rule, the award is for individuals, but we will also recognize teams of up to two people. Decisions will not be made on the basis of nationality, sex, or whether one is a Japan Geoscience Union member or a non-member.
2. The number of winners
The selection committee will select 10 award winners.
i. Candidates must be recommended to be considered for selection, and we will recognize recommendations from the candidate him or herself, as well as those from others who shall have held JpGU membership.
If the candidate is recommended by someone else, the candidate's interest in receiving the award will need to be confirmed in advance.
ii. The following documentation is required for a recommendation.
- Recommendations must be written in Japanese or English. (Both languages can appear in the same recommendation document.)
- The candidate's name and contact information (affiliated institution, address, telephone number, email address, etc.)
- The candidate's work history and list of honors
- A list of all reviewed publications and a supplement of the five most important
- Reasons for recommendation (6 pages or fewer, A4 size)
- If the candidate is providing the recommendation, it must be written by the candidate him or herself, and if providing a recommendation for another, it must be written by recommender.
- If the candidate is providing the recommendation, they must also send two letters of support, and if providing a recommendation for another, they must also provide letters of support from two others.
- If providing a recommendation for another, the person providing the recommendation must provide their contact information (address, telephone number, email address, etc.).
- It does not matter whether who write letters of support have JpGU membership or not.
iii. Recommendations must be sent within the recommendation period for the year in question in the form of a word file and a PDF version thereof, in an email addressed to the Office for the Nishida Prize for the Promotion of Geoscience (firstname.lastname@example.org ). Supplemental publications can be provided only in PDF format.
If you do not receive email confirmation within one week after sending recommendation mail, please contact us to request confirmation of your recommendation. Without the email confirmation, your nomination will be invalid.
4. Selection Committee
- Members of the JpGU Selection Committee shall be appointed by the President after deliberations by the Board of Directors.
- The term of committee is from October, 2016 to March, 2017 and reappointment is allowed up to 4 years.
- Committee members shall be selected drawing on the JpGU membership while taking into consideration allocations of the different science sections. The number of members is around 15 .
- The names of committee members shall be published after winners are announced.
Deadline of recommendation
December 15, 2016
December 16, 2016 - The day before the meeting of directors in March, 2017
Announcement of winners
After the meeting of directors
At 2017 JpGU-AGU Joint Meeting
At 2018 JpGU Meeting
*All dates are in JST.
6. Method of Conferral
i. An award certificate will be given.
ii. As a supplementary prize, the winners will receive a one-time payment of ¥500,000.
If you have any quiestions, please contact to the Office for the Nishida Prize for the Promotion of Geoscience (jpgu_nishidasho[at]icloud.com ).
Awards Program Managing Director