2017 JpGU Fellow
For outstanding and pioneering contribution to ocean-atmosphere momentum and material exchange processes, and to the development of satellite remote-sensing of ocean surface winds.
A list of five major papers
1. Toba, Y. (1961): Drop production by bursting of air bubbles on the sea surface Ⅲ. Study by use of a wind flume. Mem. College of Sci., Univ. of Kyoto, A29, 313-344.
2. Toba, Y. (1965): On the giant sea-salt particles in the atmosphere Ⅱ. Theory of the vertical distribution in the 10-m layer over the ocean. Tellus, 17, 365-382.
3. Toba, Y. (1972): Local balance in the air-sea boundary processes Ⅰ. On the growth process of wind waves. J. Oceanogr. Soc. Japan, 28, 109-120.
4. Toba, Y. (1973b): Local balance in the air-sea boundary processes Ⅲ. On the spectrum of wind waves. J. Oceanogr. Soc. Japan, 29, 209-220.
5. Toba, Y. (1988): Similarity laws of the wind wave and the coupling process of the air and water turbulent boundary layers. Fluid Dyn. Res. 2, 263-279.